Charles Xavier
 Posted: Feb 20 2013, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

Group: X-Man
Member No.: 254

[ Before Buy You A Drink ]

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters; the pinnacle of mutant emergence into the world. The X-Men had assisted in fending off an alien invasion and it made Charles proud to know they were not the only ones doing something about the evil in the world. But superheroes were far more preferable to the next stage in human evolution, in which humanity itself had responded with some hesitancy. Already anti-mutant hate group shad risen up. Charles had been keeping tabs on them, noting the Church of Humanity seemed to be the most dangerous. Radical groups like that were going to cause problems and he wanted to ensure his pupils would survive whatever political and racial hate would hit them hard someday. He was willing to bet they needed more reassurance, more direction as well, and that would have to start with training them. The X-Men, both teams, were more than capable of handling all things dangerous in other parts of the world but what of at home? What would happen were the mansion to come under assault? Xavier had to do something about that, to give protection to those who were too young to really understand what the world was coming to. The oldest of his students were given a chance to form their own junior team, lovingly dubbed by said students as the "New Mutants". It wasn't the average team Xavier had been used to training, where control of power was necessary to a minute degree. No, instead he would need someone else to lead them in their studies and the students would need to benefit from a teacher they saw every day.

That was why Xavier had been secretly assessing his teams. One of them was capable enough of leading but he already had Scott Summers indisposed. The second team, led by Emma Frost, already had their issues with having to follow someone as brash as Miss Frost. Except Xavier trusted her, even as a telepath, and had no reason to question her motives. She was a fine leader when the times called for it, of course. That meant he would need to dig further. The next most capable X-Man he had under his wing, sans Logan as the feral mutant seemed to work better on his own most times, was Havok. Alexander Summers seemed more than willing to prove himself against the skills of Cyclops. Xavier found some solace in knowing it was only because of blood the two Summers siblings disagreed with one another. It was natural to want to prove one was better than the other, but giving them equal opportunity to do so would bode well for trust issues either might have had. That's why Xavier had finally decided, after weeks of deliberation, on Havok. Alex appeared the type to accept leadership even if he wouldn't admit it at first, and it was time for Charles to really bring it up. The New Mutants needed a teacher, a guide through their journey of mutant adolescence into adulthood, and who better than that of a powerful, willing mutant?

.oO Alex. Do you have a moment? I would like to speak with you on an important matter. Oo. Using his telepathy seemed a more feasible option than trying to make an announcement otherwise. Most certainly he could hunt down the X-Man in question with a quick walk through the mansion, or even a scan, but for now he wanted to remain in his office in case something else came up. Monitoring television stations and going through paperwork of new students enrolled almost everyday was taking up more of his time. It was difficult to wait for certain things but Xavier had more patience than anyone he'd ever known. Trying to get everything done at once wasn't going to cut it; taking his time, getting his facts and beliefs straight, yes, that mattered more. Which is why he was going to try to convince Havok to listen to his reasoning more over than someone else. Without using his psionic abilities to persuade. It wouldn't have been the first time if he went that route anyway. Not that Xavier would have mentioned that to anyone. Erik had some idea, he always did as Xavier's closest confidant, but it was still a black mark Xavier was going to continue to bury.
PMEmail Poster
^
Havok
 Posted: Feb 20 2013, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

Member No.: 225

Overheated – and sweating as a result – Alex Summers hopped up the porch step and inside the School, unzipping his hoodie a little to let the cool air at his damp chest. As far as he was concerned, if Logan could wander around in wifebeaters 80% of the time, then Alex could expose a little bit of sternum when necessary. He took deep breaths, trying to regulate his heartbeat and bring his overall body temperature down, whilst dabbing at the beads of perspiration on his forehead with his grey sleeve. He made a mental note to trim his stubble after showering – even for the winter it was getting a bit long, and it made it harder to keep cool on long runs such as the one Alex just had. Apart from helping him to safely expel some of the pent-up ambient energy his body was constantly absorbing, Alex found that such runs were good for the soul. If nothing else, they got him out of the confines of the mansion, which – gargantuan though it was – did feel like a bit of a refugee camp from time to time, especially with so many new kids running around it. It seemed like the student body was growing on a daily basis. It wasn't inconceivable to imagine the place at maximum capacity for mutants some day. He wondered if the Professor had plans to push out and start franchising; the X-brand could go a long way.

Alex was dehydrated and knew there was a stash of ice cold Gatorade waiting for him in the kitchen, but he felt too much too sweaty to cross anybody's path just yet – he did have to teach some of these kids, after all. So, without further delay, Havok made his way up the stairs, two steps at a time, towards his room. Miraculously, he succeeded in passing nobody along the way, though there were some students hanging out rather boldly at the top of the other staircase at the opposite end of the long hall that served as faculty dorms. No matter. They couldn't see the giant patches of perspiration that stained his light grey hoodie a much darker shade in places. Once in the confines of his own room, Alex threw off his top and grabbed a towel, making a bee-line for the small cubicle that people no doubt described as 'en suite'. It was more than he needed, however – especially at moments such as this. He threw the lever to bring luke warm water cascading down and moved to strip himself of the remainder of his track suit. As fate would have it, a voice from the aether interrupted him, stirring him from his planned course of action and forcing a sigh from deep within his bones. Even via telepathy, that voice was immediately unmistakable.

He turned the shower off again and ran his now damp hand through his hair before drying the excess drops of water on his bath towel. Though he was by no means new to the School, Alex had no idea if it was possible to respond to a telepathic interjection, or what the protocol was, so he just spoke aloud. "Uhhh, sure," he said, clumsily, patting himself down with the towel before tossing it on to his bed as he moved out of the small en suite compartment. "Just need to put a fresh shirt on right here…" When Xavier called you personally, you didn't tell him you had other plans. Alex had been at the mansion a mere matter of weeks when he'd learned that lesson. He grabbed the first shirt he could find in the dresser drawer – a white v-neck shirt – and poking his head through the top, rolling it down over his clammy torso. The sweatpants would have to do for now… he was confident Xavier could cope. So he left his room and headed for the stairs again, cooler now, actually managing to feel the perennial draught that coursed through the huge house. He reached the door to Xavier's office and knocked twice before announcing his presence. "Charles? It's Alex," he said, and waited to be invited in before entering.
PM
^
Charles Xavier
 Posted: Feb 22 2013, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

The lack of knowledge about psionics to a lot of the mansion's residents never ceased to amaze Charles. He had found reactions from humans to be incredibly lacking. They always seemed more afraid of the ones who could disintegrate flesh than the ones who could strip away the mind. Only when some great secret was at stake would they really find a reason to hate a telepath. So when Havok had decided to say his thoughts out loud Xavier chuckled to himself from within his own office. Alex would learn it was normal for Xavier to call upon people that way and he need only think his thoughts back for Xavier to pick up on them. As long as he was actively searching, of course. It was against the will of another to read their mind and Xavier would refrain—most of the time. Like any leader he had his own demons to contend with. So Xavier had risen from where he'd settled in his office, moving for the great expanse of windows that overlooked the rear of the mansion. He liked to see and thus had a wall of glass put in where stone used to stand. It felt more surreal, more attached to a natural element in the world as mutants had become his focus. They had always been his focus, and Xavier knew there was nothing like taking a moment to enjoy life when it was right outside your window. Hands folded behind him he waited, staring out over the grassy slopes right to the lake behind the school.

A knock on the door and Xavier turned. Were he a telekinetic he would have opened the door for Alex but he was not, instead calling out now with his physical voice. "Please, come in Alex." The telepath waited until Alex made his appearance, perhaps closing the door as well, before he spoke. "Glad you decided to come. It perhaps could have waited until after you've had a shower but being early has its merits." Havok being in sweats and looking like he just ran a mile meant dedication to staying strong, perhaps training himself to control his abilities. In the end it was really a question of why he was doing it. A question Xavier didn't ask and probably wouldn't. That wasn't why the professor had called Alex there; he'd called him for another purpose. "I hope today has been a good one for you." That could be taken a few ways but Xavier didn't elaborate, instead moving for his desk to reach for the small filing drawer near the bottom of one side, pulling out a little stack of manilla folders to set on the desk. "You've been here a long time Alex and don't have any intention on leaving, do you?" That might have been an understatement. Having someone like Havok around would be useful and very influential towards the end. Maybe it was the selfishness or the fact Xavier wanted strong individuals on his side, but either way he had roped in more than a few superpowers. All he had to do was contend with the government and her people and mutants would be set for a bright future.
PMEmail Poster
^
Havok
 Posted: Feb 23 2013, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

The door clicked shut with a satisfying resonance, its smooth wooden surface hinting at the immaculate vintage ware of the room's interior. The Professor's personal office was as well-furnished as one might expect: the parts that weren't solid mahogany were either polished brass or boutique glass. It was dimly-lit from the inside, allowing the daylight to cast a natural hue upon its contents by day; by night it could double as a smoky little personal lounge, a gentleman's retreat from the world, hence the fine scotch and what Alex suspected was a box of fine cigars in the corner… perhaps it had been a gift, as Charles didn't honestly strike Alex as much of a smoker. But, then, appearances could be deceiving. The younger of the Summers brothers was observant enough, though his eyes did glaze over just a tad when he saw the sheer amount of literature stocked on the Professor's shelves – and all of it being in-depth tomes on the subject of genetics and biology as a whole. Alex had his own Bachelor's and Master's degrees behind him, but the sheer thought of how much information Xavier must have assimilated over the years made his head spin.

He gave a lop-sided smirk at the Professor's words while he approached the desk, shrugging as he replied: "When the bossman calls, you drop what you're doing. Unfortunately for me, and everybody else, the activity in question was basic hygiene. I'd dial down the sweat if I could, but I'm not Bobby Drake." He was in a good mood, for a change, perhaps buzzing off the adrenaline generated by the run. It was just nice to not feel his body brimming over with ambient energy for a change, and to get to expend it naturally without putting a dent in the Danger Room was an added bonus. He didn't sit; it seemed rude to perspire on the upholstery. Instead, he leaned his palms on the back of the chair in front of the Professor's magisterial workspace, his eyes watching as Charles moved behind the desk, picking out manilla folders from one of the drawers and placing them down on the mahogany surface. Now he had Alex curious...

The Professor's question threw him just slightly, however. It was an opener, intended to set up another question, perhaps even a proposition, but Alex had no idea what that could be. More classes? "A few months now," he replied, nodding, "And uh… No, sir. To answer your question, I've got no reason to leave here. I mean, I don't really have a home anywhere else. And I feel like we're on to something here. It might be too early to say, but I think this place could really help people. Not just me. I already feel like my powers are safer than before, but I can only imagine what some of these kids here must feel. That initial hopelessness that comes with the knowledge of your own mutation, that can crush kids. I'm happy to be a part of somewhere that acknowledges that. Not to mention, whether I like it or not, my only family in the entire world is here. I mean… I know it's no secret that Scott and I don't see eye to eye, but he's my brother." And I am pathologically hardwired to try and prove that I can be as good as him, he could have continued… but didn't.

"Why do you ask, Professor?"
PM
^
Charles Xavier
 Posted: Mar 2 2013, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

It was good to know most of the X-Men had not lost their sense of humor when joining with the rest of the mutants safe behind Xavier's walls. He had undoubtedly thought some would never learn to lighten up, such as Logan, who felt everything was out to get him and had horrible nightmares. On occasion there were the students who felt they were too much of a threat to be of any use, often staying out of sight and out of mind until their inner turmoil started leaking into his brain. Xavier was a telepath, and most of the time he preferred to leave an open channel of communication — even when that meant psionically instead of physically. Xavier thrived on all things telepathic, learning to pierce together emotions and fix problems many felt were not his to fix. Erik certainly took issue with how Xavier had done the brash thing of revealing mutants to the world, so to speak, but the alien invasion had done that hard part for him. Xavier merely solidified their existence to humanity and hoped for the best. His constant work at training younger mutants to control their powers, to prevent them being a danger to themselves and especially those around them, that was his true legacy. So when Havok was showing off that sense of humor Charles couldn't help the small smile. "No, you're quite right. You aren't Bobby Drake."

A good thing about Xavier was his patience, and how he was perfectly capable of remaining quiet while someone else spoke. Indeed he kept his gaze on Havok as the other mutant spoke, not taking the time to sit down as Alex had decided to stand, it would seem, and giving him the full, undivided attention he deserved. It wasn't difficult; some people would be amazed at just how much Charles Xavier could take before he'd snap. Those were the days no one wanted to know him. But right then he was content with waiting, nodding ever so slightly in response as Havok went on about his reasons for staying, and just what he felt about the school. Ah, another one did agree with him; that was always a good thing. "You make family wherever you go, Alex. If you want a new family it's possible to build one; Scott doesn't have to be the only one you can call sibling." A discussion for another time; psychology wasn't why Xavier had called Havok there. "The reason you're here in my office is because of an idea."

It was a little more difficult to explain than it was to show, in which Xavier opened several of the folders, spreading them across the desk so Alex could get a good look at some of the children in them. Most were older, generally around the ages of fifteen to seventeen, and most were the perfect choice for Xavier's new squad of teenage trainees. "I need someone to help me train the young adults we have in our midst. Teenagers, if you prefer. They're to be called the New Mutants. One of them suggested it to me and it has since stuck." Charles' gaze flickered up for a moment before dropping back down, opening a couple more of the files so Havok could get an even better look. "I need someone qualified and patient to teach them what they need to know about missions in the field. Someone who can accompany them when necessary to different locations, and someone who doesn't mind keeping an eye on their grades and how they progress in their classes." Someone could probably say Xavier was treating this like an extracurricular activity but that was far from it. Those types of programs after most schools had let out didn't throw your life in the hands of a machine creating holograms or monsters in the real world.
PMEmail Poster
^
Havok
 Posted: Mar 18 2013, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

X-MAN
Group Icon

So far they had established that one Alex Summers did not equal a Bobby Drake. "I think we're all grateful for that," Alex added knowingly to the Professor's reply, the vaguest hint of a smirk pulling at his otherwise pursed lips afterwards. There could only be one Bobby Drake. And thank God - or the fates, or abstract contingency - for that. When the Professor spoke, Alex listened. It was a strange thing, because ever since being rejected by his foster parents as a teen, the younger Summers brother had lost all faith in authority figures. It seemed like they had nothing to offer him except disappointment; and Alex felt that if he didn't expect much, he would never be disappointed. So it went with employers and self-styled mentors: Alex didn't find much worth paying attention to. Charles Xavier was different, however. Alex could tell he wasn't born a leader; he had to work at it, and maybe even resisted the role at first. It showed every time he had to make a difficult decision, or ask somebody to risk their life in the field. This made him far more relatable than he would otherwise be. Far more relatable than Scott, even. "True family is something I'll probably never understand, to be frank. But it's a good thing the doors are open here."

An idea. Xavier was full of ideas. These were, arguably, the only things standing between Alex and a life of persecution beyond the imposing doors of the School. This mansion was all he truly had, and Xavier was the closest thing Alex could find to a man he could truly respect. Listen to you, Summers – domesticated much? Oh well, there were worse things to be, Alex mused… and being utterly alone was one of them. "Well, I'm all ears," he said, consenting to hear the Professor's proposal. By the time Charles had opened his mouth, however, Alex could tell where it was going. The whole thing, frankly, smacked of responsibility... But was responsibility over the lives of others – of children, as it transpired – something that you'd ever entrust in the hands of a man nicknamed Havok…? Alex was doubtful, but he didn't speak his mind until Xavier had said his piece.

"I don't know where to start. I mean, I'm grateful to be considered, really, but... have you considered alternatives? What about Emma?" It wasn't that Alex had any particular time for Lady Frost herself – the opposite was the case, really – but he could see that her stubborn will and sheer determination would be definite assets in instructing and protecting a group of teenagers. There had to be others who could play nice and police the sandpit, too, as it were... "It's just, I've got no issues with making sure these kids nail their GPAs, and I don't mind playing chaperone and all that, but I don't know if the words 'qualified and patient' really apply to me. I think maybe you're mistaking me for Scott." Droll though they were, Alex's words weren't intended in jest. Qualifications were relative to one's field, and his was a narrow one; furthermore, he doubted if anyone could vouch for him as a patient person, unless they were euphemistically describing his activities on the long and frequent nights when insomnia took hold... which wasn't really the same thing.

"Look, I can admit that I like being an X-Man, and I'll do whatever you want to repay your good will and hospitality these past few months. You know I trust your judgment… you probably know us better than we know ourselves. I just don't want to end up being a case of misplaced faith. Some of these kids are fragile already, and I don't want to let them down."

This post has been edited by Havok: Mar 18 2013, 11:27 AM
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topic

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Biorhythm